Friday, March 10, 2023

Sleeping in Doorway

I found these quotes listed way below quotes from the State of the Union Address. Lots of white space; must have missed posting here. I think, they are from the novel, Women in the Library. 

 "This is where I tried to sleep that first night after I got off the bus from Charlotte."

"The doorway is wide and sheltered, but it smells unsavory, and even in the day, this part of the street is shaded and cold."

"The junkie who usually slept there came along and beat the hell out of me."

"Isaac happened to be sleeping over there," points across the road to a gap between two buildings. "He came over, calmed the guy down, gave him a couple of cigarettes, and took me with him."
___

I used to pass a man or woman sleeping in a doorway. I can picture it still. Fast forward and I slept there myself. It was usually occupied when I did my long night walks looking for someplace to sleep. A single step, up, door back a bit, enough to give shelter from rain. Small space, but I am a small person. 

Did not sleep well, as it was not hidden from view of passing cars or people walking by. Plus worry that someone who usually slept there would roust me. 

I do not think about being homeless in Long Beach anymore. Vivid images come back when I read about a homeless character in novels.

No comments: