Sunday, March 19, 2023

Tent City in Phoenix

 https://www.yahoo.com/news/sandwich-shop-tent-city-american-144226624.html

Read New York Times article at Yahoo news: A Sandwich Shop, A Tent City and An American Crisis. Do not know if peeps using link will have access.  It is about a Sandwich Shop in Phoenix industrial area with as many as 1,100 homeless sleeping outside. 

I associated with a few homeless when I was homeless in Phoenix for a few days, or a week. I got lost taking a bus, when I had stayed at dive motel while looking for a job. I walked for miles in an industrial area trying to find my way back downtown, to get bus to the motel. 

The owner offered me a job there. But I already spoke to others who worked for her ~ not getting paid, for one. Declined offer, and headed back to Long Beach. 

I do not remember any tent cities in Phoenix, but it is a large city. I remember homeless hanging outside the library; Station wagon would come to hand out clothes. Many years later, was in Phoenix area to meet sister's daughter, given up for adoption when she was 18. The lady often collects, distributes clothes to homeless. Wonder if she was one of those I saw doing so when I was homeless in Phoenix. 

Descriptions of those in this article, are the worst of homeless humanity. Sad for owner of the sandwich shop, having to clean up after them. 

No comments: