Saturday, March 04, 2023

Homeless person died from exposure

 Did not find much info about a homeless person who died from exposure. A Patch article said it happened at  the Billie Jean King Main Library where more than 100 people huddled together to stay dry under an awning. 

I spent some nights sleeping under an overhang at the Long Beach Free Public Library in 2004. That library was torn down, and this newly named one was built after I no longer lived in Long Beach. 

Seeking details of the person who died from exposure, I found: 

Homeless person died 02/07 died of overdose at Community Hospital winter shelter. 

02/14/2023 a homeless person was stabbed to death homeless encampment along PCH & Los Angeles River.

A new proposed temp winter shelter at at Silverado Park Gym was axed, due to area residents complaints.

"This is the only park gym that this entire part of town has," said Tony Bell. "It's taking away from the seniors, from the teens, from the kids across the street at the school." Reported by KCAL news staff writer. 

I do not know if I ever visited that park. City owned, perhaps residents can sacrifice for a few months? I wonder why that gym was selected as potential temp winter shelter? I will guess, due to there being a lot of homeless people who hang out at the park? Articles say "west Long Beach." The west L.B. park I spent many days at was Cesar Chavez. 

Silverado Park must have been more north.

No comments: