Monday, November 22, 2021

Eight Men

 Eight Men is a collection of short stories written by Richard Wright.

I saved a quote from the story, The Man Who Went To Chicago:

"Lying was bad, but revealing my own sense of insecurity would have been worse. It would have been shameful, and I did not like to feel ashamed." 

The quote reminded me of a guy who embellished about things that lead me to believe we had things in common. An example would be saying he owned a boat that was back home at his house. 

The house actually belonged to his mother. Later he says did not like boats, it was his father's, if it existed at all. 

Reading the quote today reminds me of #45. Sad and scary that so many people never saw beyond his lies. Everything with him was absolutes, no one could do/say/understand the whatever than he could. Yet there was no evidence that his claims to greatness had any basis in fact. 

What CNN calls: The Big Lie about a stolen election is still believed by his fans and elected Republican officials who should know better. A man like Richard Wright would not have been so readily deceived. 


No comments: