Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rapture

"...go out at night and eat up bars. rapture creatures"

Um maybe that old Blondie tune says eat up cars and when there's no more cars they eat up bars. Could look it up; should know, just listened to it a few days ago; posted a video of Rapture and Jim Morrison's Riders on the Storm, "Blondie vs. Morrison, Rapture Riders" on a Facebook status update.

I do not have a lot of Facebook friends. It surprised me that some seemed unaware of Harold Camping's rapture predictions. Replying to comments, I mentioned scripture which I assumed  would be familiar to Christians. Since some seemed clueless, I looked up the verses I mentioned. Basically read Matthew 24 regarding false prophets, signs of the second coming of Christ and why Christians like Camping believed the saved would be taken to heaven body and soul.

Living in California, I was apprehensible about an earthquake so strong it would open all graves so that saved dead could likewise rise and ascend to heaven. I was tired, but stayed up to check for any earthquakes, New Zealand time, 6PM, Saturday which was my Friday evening. Neighbor, John blaring his music made staying awake easy. No earthquakes, so quite sure there will not be one in Long Beach this evening.

Woke about an hour after I did fall to sleep from a strange nightmare. Not clear what it was about; in downstairs bedroom at my mother's house, some crazy lady there demanding I read ads to her, insisting there were more or something like that. I started tearing up the newspaper which looked more like a glossy magazine, crumbling pages throwing them at her. "There is no furniture ads, no job wanted ads...", something like that. I fled to my mother's bedroom across the hall, slamming the door shut.

My parents were sleeping. "Mom, Dad wake up she's....", well I do not recall, trying to kill us? She was on the other side of the door trying to get inside, I was holding it shut; suddenly thought about the "kids" ~ likely my younger brothers, Rocco and Larry, maybe sister too. That we had to go out there to protect them from the woman. That is when I woke up. In my haze, caught between dream world and waking life, an image of my brother Richard flashed through my mind.

In my mind, I saw him out of the corner of my left eye, a young Richard, thin, I will say nervous or serious expression on his face, puzzled maybe; not his entire body, perhaps from knees up. I can see it clearly now, 'though it was such a fleeting glance. Likely a much looked at photograph image come back to mind. My mother was young, and thin also. Do not recall seeing my father's face, maybe just his hair, perhaps he was lying facing away from the door.

The dream faded so quickly, but the terror I felt in the dream remained with me for a few minutes after waking. Thinking of the rapture, I wondered if my mother was about to leave earth to join my father and brother Richard where ever their souls may be.

The thing Christians need to remember when hearing predictions about doomsday:


Matthew 24:42: “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the ownthe Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect her of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

No comments: