Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Sleeping here in Allentown

 So many peeps who post on Yahoo News shared articles, hate California. I love sunny Southern California. Living here in Allentown, PA, I do not know much about homeless population. Some do sleep out front of my building in bus shelter. Some residents report them to police. I never do, they are harmless.

I had a spat with one in the back at our Smoking Shelter when he wanted a cigarette and I truthfully told him it was my last one. He accused me of lying. Other homeless routinely go through the ashtrays, and cans where ashes are dumped, looking for "snipes" or butts large enough to smoke or remove tobacco for rollies. 

Both out front at bus shelter and around the Smoking Shelter. I have been told they also sleep inside that shelter. One lady calls the cops when she sees them. Not a comfortable sleep spot, very narrow long bench. Two wicker chairs. There are pads or cushion. A sleeping bag on floor might work better.

Still better than sleeping out in the rain. When I first moved here, people said homeless were caught "living" under a large bush near the back parking lot. It is where I used to walk when smoking. Ladies told me it was not safe. Never mention to anyone that I spent a year and 3 more months living on the streets, seeking a dry place to sleep.

I have made donations to a Allentown Mission. I stopped sending $$$ as they spent so many of them on constant mailings asking for more. My daughter will drop off boxes or food or clothing to the Mission, so I have given her my surplus.

When I was still taking bus to New Jersey to see my mother, I would walk past that Mission. Never saw many homeless hanging around. 

As I am printing the photos, it brings back memories of Long Beach and places I used to sleep. The town changed so much since those days. I wonder where homeless hang out now that the old library was torn down, and Lincoln Park not the same as it once was. Wish I was able to take a trip back home. 

No comments: