Tuesday, April 26, 2011

But...

Many years ago I mentioned that I always wanted to go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. My younger brother, Rocco, said "I thought you did not like crowds and noise." I admitted that yes I had said that, but...

...but what? But the Mardi Gras was different? But I had overcome my aversion to crowded, noisy places? Do not remember. Nor do I remember, now, saying I did not like crowds. I imagine I did not like waiting in long lines, slow-moving traffic jams, pushing and shoving. Noise. I liked being alone, sitting on a riverbank watching the birds and sky in all its moods, listening to the rippling sounds of flowing water.

Maybe I meant that family affairs were too hectic, chaotic and noisy. Maybe I declined to attend a celebration. Whatever. I obviously told him something about not liking crowds. This would have been said in the time period immediately following or maybe even, while in a drama filled relationship, getting chased around town with guns and knives...

No comments: