Monday, March 14, 2011

Memory Joggers

Oops, missed posting my NBHS Zebra comment posted prior to sister, Dorothy's comments:

Talk about memory joggers: Mom often said "two wrongs don't make a right".

Someone had commented his mother saying "two rights do not make a wrong" and another said, "that was a memory jogger". Or words to that effect.

My reply to sister's two comments:

Yes, Dorothy, I remember dad telling us to look up words in the dictionary; the "smarter than all 9 of you put together" comment, I remember, included "too dumb to look up a word in the dictionary".

And yes, I forgot that one, I quote it "you can not reason with a child" or childish adults, I have found.

Yes I remember the pope's "brother-in-law was a fisherman" story. I guess the rest of you were okay with eating meat at the Chinese place (in NYC, I think, not downtown) one Friday. I refused, even tho' dad said the priest said if the father ate meat the children can too.

And I do remember being told that when I had my own house I could do what I wanted, after getting in trouble for re-arranging dinning room furniture.

The thing is, I only remember my father yelling that he was smarter than all 9 of us put together, the one time he said we were too dumb to look up words in a dictionary. Same is true of hearing my mother say:

...thought of another one; not sure how often mom said it "Oh what a tangled web we weave...". : > and "Thou dost protest too much."

First reading NBHS Zebra's query, I was thinking "said often" versus "I distinctly remember the time mom said..." or dad.


No comments: