Sunday, March 13, 2011

Little Sister

Um, dare I say "little" sister? Will that anger her? Perhaps, "My younger sister, also commented on the NBHS Zebra question about parents." My older brother did not. Um, notice I did not automatically say "my big brother". Think I may have called another brother, Richard, "my big brother". Anyhow...

I commented:

Went to sleep last evening trying to remember expressions or words my father said a lot. Nothing comes to mind; except his repeating, at dinning room table, every Sunday, stories from his childhood. A nephew tried to convince me that I grew up not drinking with meals. Not true.

Think he was confused by an oft repeated story from dad's childhood. If a child reached for a glass of water, their hand was slapped and told "Only if you choke." Likely because water was hauled from well in center of his childhood town.

He may have said more than once: "I'm smarter than all 9 of you put together," and go on to tell how his father made him quit school after 8th grade, blah, blah, blah.

She soon wrote:

Dorothy D: My father also said to just follow the ten commandments. At work today, I caught myself quoting my father - the Pope made the "do not eat meat on Friday" rule because the fisherman were poor and had no money. In other words, man-made rules weren't sins, only breaking a commandment was wrong.

and

Dorothy D: If my Dad was yelling at one of us, my mother would mutter, "the sins of the father..." (are passed onto the children). Mary, remember if we asked how to spell something we were told to look it up in the dictionary, and Dad would say "You can't reason with a two year old" also a lot of the above: My house, my rules, when you move out, you can be the boss.and always do your best whether mopping a floor, or preparing a court document. Mom always said, "This is the day the Lord hath made, let us be glad and rejoice". and Today is the first day of the rest of your life, and "do unto others.."

No comments: