Thursday, February 17, 2011

SAHM

Today, married women with children who opt not to work outside the home are called Stay At Home Moms. During my childhood SAHM's was the norm and working mom's a rarity. I remember two classmates whose mom's worked for pay. Strange, I am not sure, but think Jackie Burns' mom was divorced. Randy Goodman gave an impassioned speech during a debate about rescinding New Jersey Blue Laws. Red-faced, close to tears about his poor mum standing on her feet all day at the store where she worked, and she needed Sunday's off.

We were kids. Just because the state was going to allow stores to be open on Sundays, did not mean she would then be adding Sunday to her work schedule. Do not know that he was red-faced and close to tears. Maybe. He did impress me if not convincing me of the folly of allowing Sunday shopping. I had no interest or opinion on the subject. Boring stuff.

My Aunt Evy was divorced, worked as a nurse. Mrs. Macaro was a police woman. Do not know if she had children. Of course, lots, most all elementary school teachers, even the principal, were working females. Mrs. McMullen had a baby and came back to teach the following year. But basically, when females got married they stopped working becoming full time mothers and housewives.

"No wife of mine is going to work," my husband bellowed. Why not? Of course I would go back to work when our soon-to-arrive baby started first grade. Likely got that idea from my mother who went back to work when the youngest of nine started first grade.

Do not remember when I quit the job I had since a Junior in High School. Do know I was already married, took off the wedding band when I went to work; told no one, not even my best co-worker friend, that I was married. And pregnant. I think I quit before husband went to jail.

The day he was taken away in handcuffs from the courtroom, his mother took charge. Thanked her for doing so; do not know what I would have done. First stint sponging off the government; welfare, food stamps and clinic care. Said "I went into shock". My father was a mason contractor. He was often without work. Did collect unemployment, but never public assistance. Do not think I knew there was such a thing until mother-in-law hooked me up.

No comments: