Tuesday, January 10, 2023

One thing...

 ...leads to another. Typing about Senator Robert Garcia and Superman comic book brought back old memory.

My daughter and her boyfriend got a storage unit when I moved to Long Beach and stayed with them for 6 months. I never intended to stay that long. I actually applied for and got offered an apartment after Dennis and I had an argument. My daughter did not want me to move. I was juggling some part time jobs, and feared I would not be able to keep up with the rent, so stayed a little longer.

Several years late Dawn and Dennis split up. After a while she moved back east with a new boyfriend, who she later married. Soon after she left Long Beach, Dennis also moved back east. Neither one of them kept up payments on the Storage unit. I had cosigned for the unit because I had excellent credit and they did not. So I kept getting the bills and paying for the unit. 

I enjoy Storage Wars on TV. A couple have (or had)  a shop in Long Beach, Now and Then. That would have been my dream come true. When I cleaned out the Storage unit, I had 6,000 comics. Stored in long boxes of plastic covered comics. I tried to sell them for a dollar apiece, along with other household items. Hard luck, car died, job depended upon car, got two part time jobs, skated to work downtown LB and bussed to another job. 

Later decluttering my mother's home, I wanted to rent a store and start selling some of her one person's junk is another one's treasures. Instead had a garage sale: net $60.00.

My mother had agreed to the sale and to give $$$ to sister-in-law with cancer. So what happened with the comics? A guy who I met got a shopping cart someone left on the street to help me carry those boxes to a place that bought comics. What did he give me? Was it $20. or maybe only $10.? I took the guy to Burger King to thank him for helping me. I also gave him some comics he said his brother would like.

LOL at the time I did not know the guy was homeless in Long Beach. 

No comments: