Saturday, January 20, 2024

Hypnagogic Hallucinations

 Hypnagogic hallucinations are brief hallucinations that take place as you're falling asleep. They're common and usually nothing to worry about. They're usually visual in nature, such as images of patterns, shapes or flashing lights.

Hypnopompic hallucinations occur while a person is waking up, and hypnagogic hallucinations occur while falling asleep. Together, hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations are referred to as hypnagogia.

*

Reading a novel, I had to search NSFW (not safe to work) and hypnagogic hallucinations. Oh, my I did not know that. I used to see things ~ eyes closed, trying to fall to sleep. I would see things, like people at a curb entering a car, as if I was actually watching them from a window.

I thought that I was somehow seeing live action through the eyes of someone else. Like I was psychically connected to them. I started doing that after I was off the streets. Today I will wake up still dreaming ~ I guess that would also be an hallucination ~ because I am awake, yet seeing the images, as if I am still in the dream.

Alternately, I will continue "writing" the dream in my mind. Sometimes those two things occur at the same time. Such as: "she went to hide under the covers," says my thoughts, and I see her go hide under the covers. Even though I am aware that I am no longer sleeping.

If that makes any sense.


No comments: