Wednesday, March 01, 2023

60 Warming Beds

 Reported by Patch, 60 warming beds were set up at Long Beach's Multi-Service Center (aka: MSC.) They were made available on February 26, 2023 and will likely be available until March 5. First come, first served, at 6PM, the beds are removed by 8AM regular service hours.

The MSC had shelter for women and children, but I was never in that section of the building. I try to imagine how these "beds" are being set up. Do they remove waiting room area furniture, to place in lobby? Maybe push it to the side? If so will staff or guards stay awake to protect office area?

Will those who get their sleep spot on the floor be allowed to use the mens/ladies room? Use toilets, sinks, showers at any hour of the night? I am sure the laundry room would be locked until 8AM. I used to line up before 8AM to be one of the first to get to use a shower. I hated waiting for hours to access services. Early birds, less likely to run out of hot water. 

It is why I made the trek to MSC rather than closer Village for a shower. That shower was private; was given a thin folded paper towel ~ that was soaked before I even dried part of my body. Freezing! New to the streets, loaded backpack, did not think to carry a towel with me. Later, I did carry a roll of toilet paper due to New Image shelter handing out two sheets of TP which would not do the job when emptying bowels. 

MSC showers were a group affair. I often was lucky to get one of the two stalls ~ had a seat & hand held shower head. I never took group showers in high school and no college, so a new experience for me. I forget how many spouts there were, 3 or 4 ladies in a circle to wash. 

One lady told me, "you have a cute little body." She was not, to the best of my knowledge, a lesbian. She was quite cute herself. Can not say i recall her body, or anyone else's, even tho' we were all naked. I am thankful every day that I have hot/cold running water and my own toilet. 

What I did not think to do when homeless was to get diapers for overnight urinating. Did not know about Poise pads back then; much better than using sanitary napkins (when I could afford them) for protection from leaks. 

Many memories of MSC. 

No comments: