Tuesday, January 10, 2023

LBC Winter Shelter 2022/2023

 https://lbpost.com/news/winter-shelter-full-long-beach-add-shelter

Winter Shelter has 80 beds. I wonder if people are sheltered in individual rooms due to shelter being in former hospital.

Water to site had to be turned off and port-a-pots brought in for temporary residents use. 

It took me a few minutes to remember where the LBC winter shelter was located when I was homeless in Long Beach. In a church basement. Ironically many years later I lived in a senior apartment complex whose parking lot backed up to that church.

We used to go outside to smoke at appointed times. Residents of that apartment building complained, so that we had to be taken through the church to a door that lead to an alley. We did not pose a threat to the residents or their cars, as the lot was protected by a tall fence, with locked gated entrance. 

When I used the back entrance, I would always remember the days I was in that alley smoking. 

No comments: