Thursday, November 03, 2022

$35.00 an hour?

A Facebook friend posted on her wall that her grandson is looking to clean local lawns from leaves. He will bring garbage bags, and charge $35.00 an hour. WTH That is well above minimum wage. I never earned that much an hour in my entire working life. 

With inflation at all time high, who could afford to pay a teen $35.00 an hour? Maybe the grandson lives in an affluent area? I understand trash bags can be expensive. A quick search showed 30 gallon lawn and leaf paper sacks would cost $1.60 per bag. If he needed 5 bags, he would still be asking for close to thirty dollars for an hours labor.

Assuming it only took an hour. Maybe he is slow.

I worked as a maid at motel for a while. The owner gave me bonuses because I was so fast. I did not know that people worked slow on purpose to earn more money.

I also worked in a factory. The guys complained that I worked too fast. One knocked over a compartment box, dumping all the nails, screws, nuts & bolts that I had just finishing sorting after opening an order. I was livid. I had to pick them up from counter, floor and redo the sorting that I had just finished.

He just smirked. Said it was an accident. Often told me I worked too fast. They did this so that work would not get done, and the company would give them overtime. 

I do not know her grandson. A sister-in-law's sister, I only know her socially. She was nice and never gave me reason to think her grandson would be unscrupulous. 

I did not want to hurt her feelings by expressing my true feelings about that $35.00 an hour. So wrote about it here, not knowing which blog to mention it on.

No comments: