Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Book of Illusions

Did not finish the novel, The Book of Illusions by Paul Auster. I did not finish reading quite a few books I recently checked out of the library. Perhaps part of the reason is inability to concentrate. As it is this moment; neighbor turned on the whatever. Television I think. Did not anticipate hearing neighbor's noise through concrete block walls. I guess the floor and adjoining ceiling does not provide enough insulation to keep the sound from entering my apartment.

I think it was this novel where a character said there is a difference between a tramp, a hobo and homeless person.  My notes say:

~riding the rails as a Depression hobo.

~when a man has nothing to look forward to, he might as well be dead.

l'homme moyen sensuel

page 35 last dime to a beggar on the street.

Proudhon's dictum all property is theft.

Google Translation tells me the French words mean: the average sensual man.

No comments: