Friday, January 11, 2013

The Phantom Tollbooth

Read The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster because a Yahoo Contributor/Yahoo Voices or Associated Content (I forget which one) wrote an article saying the children's book is what inspired him to become a writer when he grew up.

It was interesting to read a book geared towards the 8 to 12-year-old age group. I wondered if today's kids would appreciate the humor, as well as kids may have in 1961 when the novel was first published. I am not sure I would have been familiar with some of the expressions used in the book when I was that age.

I will say, because I do not want to try to find an example, things like "when pigs fly," "that is like the frying pan calling the kettle black," or "money doesn't grow on trees." Do not recall any mothers telling their kids to cut out the din or people complaining about neighbors din when playing music too loud.

Yet the book has value in teaching life lessons, useful, even to this adult.

"You must never feel badly about making mistakes...
...as long as you take the trouble to learn from them."

Lessons on wasting time, killing time, thinking, compromising and more.

Did not look, but found these expressions:

drive a bargain
pull the switch
file a brief
lower the boom
toe the line
raise the bridge

Food for thought: "Expectations is the place you must always go to before you get to where you're going. Of course, some people never go beyond Expectations..."

Back in 2001 I knew "Time is too precious to waste." Lately I waste a lot of it. Thus worthwhile read.



No comments: