Friday, June 08, 2012

Sugar Skull

As with The Buddha in the Attic, I put Denise Hamilton's novel, Sugar Skull down and read two other books. I doubt that I will be finishing it even though there is a lot about homelessness in the novel.

As with most mystery novels, Sugar Skull is part of a series starring Eve Diamond, a Los Angeles Times reporter. Do not know why I quickly lost interest in the story. Reason I checked the second book in series out of library was due to wanting to read the latest one found on library new fiction shelf. The first book in this series was not available. Having so many to-read books, thought to take my time with this author, obtaining all the first books before checking out the new novel.

Eve creates an imaginary headline in her mind: DANCE WITH THE DARK SIDE - BORED RICH GIRLS SEEK ULTIMATE THRILLS SLUMMING WITH HOMELESS RUNAWAYS.

"Downtown was empty at this hour, only an occasional panhandler and a few Latino families trudging off for a day's shopping on Broadway."

In an abandoned warehouse, Eve finds "...a pamphlet advertising services for homeless Vietnam vets, another for a substance abuse program."

That is all the quotes I will share from this book, seeing as I am not sure I will finish reading it. Hard to say why one book will grab my attention and not let go;  my interest in a story wanes so quickly for others.

No comments: