Saturday, June 02, 2012

Day late

Could not find author of quote: Excuses are the leaning posts of fools.

A man in Florida was killed when he refused to obey police orders to stop chewing a homeless man's face. Someone commented on article that she was tired of people using mental illness as an excuse. Um, that may have been a different article about a different incident ~ Seattle man goes on killing rampage. I suggested mental disorders are given as a reason for horrid behavior, not as an excuse.

Looked the words up in dictionary:

excuse: to explain (a fault or offense) in the hope of being forgiven or understood
reason: the basis or motive for an action, decision, or conviction

Guess I am wrong. Saying mental illness is why someone committed a horrid crime will help people understand how they could do such a thing. I am not sure knowing the why of it means being able to forgive the unpardonable. I am also correct: the reason someone could gnaw off someone's face is due to mental instability. Except in this case, it was likely due to drugs.

Ah, sidetracked again. My reason or excuse is I feel like I am a day late, again.

No comments: