Monday, June 25, 2012

11/22/63

Muddled through Stephen King's novel, 11/22/63. A mysterious hole allows time travel back to one day only ~ 9/9/1958. If time traveler stays for 5 minutes, 5 days or 5 years, then returns, only two minutes of now time has passed. Stuff brought back from 1958, like money, does not disappear; but traveler ages according to amount of time spent in the Ago.

There are no homeless mentions in either time zones, past or present, although there are several mentions of winos, panhandling for booze, riffling through trash bins or cans. One has a sign propped against a pot I AM A CRIPPLE UP BAD! PLEASE GIVE WHAT YOU CAN BE A GOOD SAMARIAN GOD LOVES YOU. That panhandler showed himself not to be much of a good Samaritan himself.

In 1958: "...there was probably no charity-supported shelters or rehabs for guys like him." And, a man says some of the townspeople think a serial child-murderer is "some vag who's since moved on."
Unrelated to homelessness:  "Coincidences happen, but I've come to believe they are actually quite rare. Something is at work, okay? Somewhere in the universe (or behind it), a great machine is ticking and turning its fabulous gears."

Coincidence: Occam's Razor showed up in 11/22/63. Not a coincidence, but I turned ten-years-old on September 9, 1958. But this was weird:

My cousin Doris posted something on her Facebook wall. Song started playing in my head: getting to know you, getting to know all about you. I decided to find it at You Tube to post on my wall. Doris is my age, so when our big families got together when I was a kid, we paled around for the afternoon or day. There is a Doris (or two) in 11/22/63. Found the tune, by Julie Andrews. On sidebar list of videos, was another one by Ms.Andrews: Somewhere, from West Side Story.

Dang if I had not just finished reading a part of the novel that featured the song Somewhere from West Side Story. Coincidence? I did see West Side Story all those years ago. Do not remember much about it; remembered the song when I listened to it.

It was stuff like that which had me muddling through the book ~ 800+ pages of it ~ what does this have to do with preventing Oswald from killing JFK!!! More about the novel on my Alter Ego blog.

No comments: