Friday, February 17, 2012

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

I read a book review about the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. The story is about four teenage girlfriends who share a pair of jeans ~ mailing them to each other to wear for a specified period of time. It has been a long time since I read the review ~ I remember it being about these four teens, now adults, having a reunion to find out what really happened the summer of whatever.

I did not realize the book series by Ann Brashares were teen novels. That is okay when my oldest daughter and son were teens, I read their books. Middle child was not much for reading; the other two took after me ~ always with their noses in a book.

I put aside Where We Stand: Class Matters when I checked out the third Traveling Pants summer story, then picked it up again.The author of Where We Stand had a college roommate who lost her mother to cancer and was being raised by her father. The author aspired to being an artist; her parents disapproved. In Traveling Pants, a teen lost her mother to suicide. Another of the friends aspired to being an artist; her parents disapproved, refusing to pay to send her to art school.

Just one of those little weird coincidences found reading two very different books. Actually the issue of class is touched upon in the Traveling series, but not stated as such.

No comments: