Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Usta be on the streets

"Yes," I replied to man at laundromat, "you remember seeing me?"

"Yes," he replied.

Strange; must have been that huge red backpack; I was hard to miss; still, odd anyone would remember seeing me. Okay: "Oh, were you homeless too?" I ask.

"Yup." This is like pulling teeth from chickens.

"Did we know each other?" I ask, "I do not remember you."

"Yeah, we talked all the time."

I stood back, peered at his face then said: "Oh Tony! You look different, I did not recognize you." He took off his cap to show me that he cut his hair. I have zero recollection of his hair style, he still looked different. Can not say he aged, if anything, he might look younger. As we chatted, he would smile and I would get a glimpse of how I remember him looking.

I apologized for not recognizing him: "If I had I would not have been saying, 'Sir' this and 'Sir' that." Even though he recognized me, I am willing to bet he forgot my name.

No comments: