Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Yahoo Contributer

December 1, 2011 will be the end of my publishing days with Yahoo Contributor.

A few days ago, when I logged in to the account, there was a message that I had to accept the new Terms of Service. Hate reading those things, too much technical stuff and way too long. Almost need to be an attorney to understand them (and Privacy Policies). I skim-read it. I did not like the part that YC does not guarantee payment even for assignment articles. One of my assignment articles is video tapping Occupy demonstrations, payment: $15.00.

With no video camera not something I could do. Most often they offer no pay, only page view bonuses. Other times the pay offered is so low, it is not worth the amount of effort that will go into researching the article. I noticed that YC pays less than Associated Content used to pay out for page views. Neither publisher has been all that helpful in getting their writers page views. Basically we have to bring readers to our articles. More readers equal more advertising dollars they can earn.

But that is not why I will no longer be associated with YC. Today's announcement is that YC is moving all our AC articles to a new Yahoo URL. The good news about that is the articles will become single page articles, rather than broken up into cumbersome two or more of them. The bad news is an article that used to get 3 page views will now get one. No biggie. The biggie is they are removing all articles that were self-submitted.

ROFL I stopped asking Associated Content to offer to pay me for what I wrote a couple of years ago. At that time I started publishing my book reviews on my website ~ which I have not updated in a long, long time. Once I figured out how to self publish at Yahoo Contributor I stopped submitting for pay. They rejected my stuff anyway, so pointless to try. Or their goes almost my entire catalogue of articles.

Oh well, it was great while it lasted.

No comments: