Friday, July 08, 2011

What's a Dime?

What is a dime? Not worth much in today's market place. I remember when a dime bought two full size Hershey bars. I think Fanny Farmer's thicker chocolate bars cost a quarter, out of my reach. Unless girlfriend and I chipped in, splurged and shared a bar.

As I passed a grocery store walking home from Bixby Park I decided to stop inside to see how much their potato chips cost. Lucky day, $1.88 for Lay's potato chips. I keep forgetting to check the web to find out if Wise chips went out of business. The stores 'round here only sell Lay's, store brands and more expensive chips. I did not used to buy potato chips. Said, long ago, married out of budget reach, that was good that I could not afford them; I could eat an entire bag in one sitting.

Okay, make that two sittings, or toady, maybe a few more days than that. I used to only snack on popcorn, pretzels or nuts. Well, can not exactly chew nuts anymore. Yet that does not explain my new obsession with potato chips. I can not seem to go a day or two after running out of chips. Ditto Reese's Peanut Butter cups.

I considered getting two bags of the chips, but rather short on cash. Did not mention to the clerk that the $1.88 bag of chips rang up as $1.98. I thought, maybe I was mistaken, tho' I know the huge sign read: $1.88; no self-confidence, besides how cheap to complain about being overcharged one lousy dime.

As I left the store, right at the curb by parking lot what do I see lying on the ground? A bright shiny dime. Sweet!

No comments: