Monday, July 04, 2011

20 Years Ago Today

20 years ago today I watched firework displays over the Queen Mary cruise ship. I no longer remember where along Ocean Blvd. I stood with my daughter, Dawn and her guy, Dennis. It was crowded with people, that I visualize clearly. I was simply amazed by the variety of people. Variety as in different ethnic groups. Everyone all together, happy, seeming like one great big happy family. I think that is what made me fall in love with Long Beach.

Ten years ago today I still had the t-shirt I bought during my California vacation. I called it "my sleep shirt". What was I thinking? Extra large, maybe extra, extra large? Perhaps that was the only size vendor had available. I believe I purchased it at Venice Beach, although it may have been Santa Monica. No recall of visiting Santa Monica that trip; loved Venice.

Quite contrary comes to mind; well, of course, I knew about the Rodney King riots. My night shirt had a peace sign on it, rainbow colored, if memory serves me. The words No Peace No Justice circled the rim. Maybe an image of Rodney King was on the back. Or front. Sad I do not remember anymore.

Yet my impression of Long Beach was persons of all nationalities living in peace and harmony. Seemed to be an absence of bigotry. Living here, I did learn all was not that way. I guess celebrating Independence Day as one created the illusion.

No comments: